Jun 10, 2014

A Parent's Lament

Stories like this, of which there are far too many, leave me feeling despair and frustration. I don't know how it is that we got to this state. Moreover, I don't comprehend how we as Americans often neglect the very things that we know, with absolute certainly, are critical to our survival and success. As the parent of a high schooler with dedicated teachers, and the daughter of former teachers myself, I see firsthand how hard they work and how many have second and third jobs. At one time, my daughter was considering a teaching career, but now she's turning away from that path. It's a shame, because I'm sure she'd make a very positive impact on the upcoming generation of students. But I have to say (and I'm sure I'm not alone as the average citizen) I have no clue what to do that would actually make a difference. I consistently vote for candidates who make education a priority, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I volunteer at my children's schools, but I don't think that makes much of a difference either. What kind of grassroots efforts will actually have an impact?

A Teacher's Tough Decision to Leave the Classroom

No comments:

Post a Comment