Jun 9, 2014

A Timely Question

The strangest thing has been going on for the past three months or so. I usually wake up before my alarm goes off. I use the alarm on my phone, and it's usually next to me on the bed or on my nightstand. So, here's what happens: I'll stare at the ceiling for a while, annoyed because I never get enough sleep. After a few minutes I'll reach for my phone to see just how too early it is, and it NEVER FAILS. I'll see the time change from one minute to the next. This literally happens in two seconds or less. It happens no matter what time it is, what day of the week it is, or whether my alarm is set or not.

After the first few times this happened, I thought, "What a coincidence." After a few more times,  I thought, "That's kind of cool." After a month or so, I thought, "What the heck is going on??" After a few weeks of this I started experimenting, to see if I could make it not happen. I tried checking the time after naps in the middle of the day, and I tried pausing after my initial instinct to reach for the phone. It didn't matter. I'd still watch that minute change as soon as I picked it up.

I'm no statistics expert, but common sense tells me this should not be happening consistently for such a long period of time. And although I'm well aware of what focused energy can do, I could in no way be causing the time to change by touching the phone. If that were the case, the time would be very wrong by now. My conclusion is that my brain (maybe lots of brains) is performing some mysterious operations that I'm unaware of. Has my brain synced up with my phone somehow? Is there something in there telling me exactly when to reach for the phone?

No comments:

Post a Comment